There is no need for modern computer to play this modification, but if you want 99% success in programs & games installation, make sure that your Windows is clean, up to date and free from viruses.
Step by step:
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Only one thing that you must worry about is version of your Diablo II: LoD — it must be 1.12a. You can install Diablo II and the LoD addon from you old CD's and apply a patch, or get digital copy from the internet. Beware of the client's modern autoupdate technology!
Median XL Ultimative
After the client installation process, all subsequent steps should seem like a breeze. In this case all that you need is download Median XL Ultimative and extract «patch_d2.mpq» from .rar archive to the Diablo II folder (answer Yes about replacing):
D2MultiRes is a .dll that allow you to play in your native (or other) display resolution. It is not only about the graphics, it is also about field of view and smooth mouse movement. Just try it by putting all files from archive to your Diablo II folder:
PlugY just a small program that have big powers. It extends your inventory and Cube, make you stash near-infinity big and available for all of your characters. You will not able to play without PlugY after trying, so unpack it to your game folder:
Last, but most important things that you must do is:
- [Only for Windows Vista and newer] In the Properties menu of D2VidTst.exe and PlugY.exe (they in game folder) set compability mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2:
- Launch D2VidTst.exe, wait when it tests your system and choose DirectDraw 2D Mode.
- Open PlugY.ini and change some values:
DllToLoad=D2MultiRes.dll ActiveShiftClickLimit=1 ItemsToSell=r01
- Optionally you can change AlwaysDisplayLifeAndManaValues to 1 and...
That's all, you are ready to play the game! Launch PlugY.exe and beware ;)
If you encounter any problems the first thing you must do — check, that you follow this guide correctly and not miss something. After that, check our list of known problems:
- In any ambiguous situation Launch everything with Administrator's rights.
- Unhandled Exception: Access Violation (0xc0000005) — this is very common error when you are use D2MultiRes. You can try many things to solve this error, including: check, that you follow the guide again, system restart (yes, it really can help), disk and RAM error checking, driver update, disable DEP, allocate more memory to pagefile, reinstall Windows...
- After selection of new display resolution, your screen may turn black. If you encounter this, you must delete D2MultiRes registry entry — HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\D2RMRes
Feel free to comment (no registration required) using form below if you facing with unlisted problems, or just want to talk about this great modification. ;)
- Official Median XL Ultimative website — http://forum.median-xl.com/
- PlugY website — http://plugy.free.fr/
- Download 1.12a patch — https://mega.nz/#!j5djkBzI!3verQPl8shJq6edq2ko1VbLGmwXMD5aTuUPv-JtVplM
- Download Median XL — http://get.median-xl.com/
- Download D2MultiRes — https://mega.nz/#!bkUj3LjL!8vaQVR4A2F6vEhKT49m472XUKaM2h9FmJuiyypOHO64
- Download PlugY — https://mega.nz/#!ygdAGbZT!izma6ohctXYd6LA4lNWB23y3NX-DYhhPdXZoiqxo7c8
- Documentation page — http://docs.median-xl.com/